letter to John Brashear Co. informing them that Chabot Observatory
will be getting a new 20-inch telescope of 30-ft focal length.
(The same letter was sent to Alvan Clark & Co. and on
4 Nov to Warner & Swasey.)
02 Dec 1913
notice for 20-inch telescope by Bd. of Ed. of City of Oakland
and of Oakland High School District of Alameda Co. CB sent
letters to Warner & Swasey and Clark re specifications
for telescope - 28-ft focal length, siderial and lunar rates.
06 Jan 1914
for telescope due at 5:00 P.M.
13 Jan 1914
accepts Warner & Swasey / Brashear bid for telescope.
15 Jan 1914
Brashear orders blanks for 20-inch objective from Schott
of Jena, Germany.
21 Jan 1914
Council transfers certain properties to Oakland School
District of Alameda County.
24 Jan 1914
College to bid for Observatory.
25 Jan 1914
29 Jan 1914
Letter from Ambrose Swasey to CB
about palns to dispaly telescope at Pan-Pacific International
on Redwood Peak considered.
09 Mar 1914
for 20-inch telescope signed.
31 Mar 1914
between Oakland High School District of Alameda County
and Warner & Swasey to transport telescope from
San Francisco to Oakland and assemble in Observatory for
23 Oct 1914
of Leona Heights site produce by T.J. Allen.
27 Oct 1914
from Schott glass discs are ready.
10 Nov 1914
ready for inspection.
24 Nov 1914
of Education selects site at end of Leona Heights streetcar
discs have reached Pittsburg.
& Swasey ships telescope to San Francisco.
27 Jan 1915
from Brashear; computation of curves finished, roughing
02 Feb 1915
of Education votes final acceptance of site at what will
eventually be 4917 Mountain Blvd. They also ordered the
04 Feb 1915
Council approves $499 from General Fund for an option on
land for observatory. (Resolution 9751 N.S.)